Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where are the State Personnel Board offices and courtroom located? 

A: The State Personnel Board is located at 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, Colorado 80203. 

Q: Does my appeal have to be on a specific form? 

A: Yes. In accordance with Board Rule 8-38, the Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form is required for all appeals.  The Consolidated Appeal/Dispute Form is available on the Forms & Filing page and can also be obtained at the SPB offices at 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor.

Q: Do I need an attorney in order to file an appeal with the Board? 

A: No, you do not need an attorney to file an appeal with the Board. You may choose to self-represent. If you are self- representing, please see the Representing Yourself page. Self-representation is difficult. You may retain legal counsel at any time during your appeals process.

Q: Can I file my appeal or other documents by sending an email? 

A: Because of growing concerns regarding Coronovirus, the Board will accept filings by email starting March 17, 2020.  Email filings should be sent to  

Q: Can I file a grievance with the Board?

A: No. The Board does not review grievances. The Board only reviews appeals of final grievance decisions issued by appointing authorities upon completion of the agency’s grievance process. Please contact your department's human resources office to inquire about its grievance procedures. A grievance must be filed on a department's own form or a grievance form supplied on this website. See the Grievance Procedure page.

Q: What is the process for filing a Whistleblower Claim? 

A: An employee who alleges retaliation for disclosure of information protected under the State Employee Protection Act (commonly referred to as the "Whistleblower Act”) may appeal to the Board within 10 days of the disciplinary action that allegedly violated the Whistleblower Act. The employee must complete both the Whistleblower Complaint form and the Consolidated Dispute/Appeal form found on the Forms and Filing page.

Q: What is a commencement hearing? 

A: At a commencement hearing, the ALJ may ask the parties to present opening statements, factual stipulations (facts that the parties agree upon), and stipulated exhibits (exhibits that the parties agree upon). Commencements may be conducted in person, telephone, or videoconference as determined by the ALJ. At the Commencement, the parties must be prepared to discuss dates for scheduling of the evidentiary hearing.

Q: What is the difference between an information sheet and a prehearing statement? 

A: Information sheets are submitted in order for the judge to make a preliminary recommendation whether to grant a hearing. Board Rule 8-45 governs information sheets. Prehearing statements are submitted before an evidentiary hearing. Board Rule 8-54 governs prehearing statements.

Q: If I am granted a discretionary hearing, do I have to resubmit materials in my prehearing statement that I already provided in my information sheet? 

A: Yes, the prehearing statement must be as thorough as possible and comply with Board Rule 8-54.

Q: What happens if I don't submit something on time or I don't submit it at all? 

A: If you fail to submit required information in a timely manner your case may be dismissed.

Q: Do I have to attend a hearing in person if I am the Complainant? 

A: Yes. You may also be accompanied by an attorney at any stage of the appeal process if you choose to have legal representation. 

Q: Is there an option to settle before my appeal goes to a hearing? 

A: Yes. Parties may participate in the Board's settlement program. Further information is available on the Settlement Program page.

Q: Flow Chart?

A: See the flow chart for Board processes.

Q: Accommodations for disability?

A: Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities will be provided upon request.  Requests for accommodations can be made by calling Board staff at 303-866-3300 at least three work days prior to the scheduled hearing.  You may also email Board staff at if you need to request an accommodation.